The Ruiz’s have been an active part of the Utah horse community for many years. Joe is an accomplished horse trainer, bit and spur craftsman, judge and clinician. Joe and Carrie are working in all aspects of the Utah horse industry. As a horse trainer, Joe has specialized in Reining, Working Cow horse, and Barrel racing. Joe and Carrie have proven to be extremely effective coaches for many clients. In 2009 Joe was inducted into the Intermountain Reining Horse Association (IRHA) Hall of Fame. Joe & Carrie have been a great team with the never-ending help & support of their 3 sons: Brandon, Just in & Jared. Some of their accomplishments include:
- World Champion – Mules Reining 1987
- World Champion – American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) Reining 1994
- Reserve World Champions Working Cow Horse & Freestyle Reining
- World Qualifiers in AQHA, American Paint Horse Association (APHA), Appaloosa Horse Association (ApHA), Reining, Working Cow Horse, Ranch Riding, Barrels, Poles 2x 1987, 2x 1988, 1989, 1992, 3x 2012-2018
- World Qualifiers AQHA, APHA, ApHA Amateur 1987, 1988, 2×1989, 1999
Joe was president of the IRHA from 1985 to 1991 and has been a National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) Judge from 1988 to the present. Carrie has been a National reining Horse Association judge from 1992 to the present and Intermountain Reining Horse Association Events Coordinator and Operation Manager 1985 to 1991.
Joe and Carrie have both served for several years on the Utah Quarter Horse Association Board of Directors.. They are dedicated horsemen who have had a large impact on the equestrian world
Joe Ruiz was born on September 26, 1951 in Florence, AZ. He grew up on an Arizona cattle ranch. At 16 he started breaking colts and training horses finding a passion that would last a life time. Joe competed in college rodeo for Central AZ College in Casa Grande, AZ from1969-1971 Carrie Parker Ruiz was born June 26, 1956 in Salt Lake City, UT. She was raised on the Lazy P Ranch. Carrie learned to ride and compete in 4H, Open and Quarter Horse Shows. Joe & Carrie were married on December 12, 1975.